Oosterschelde was built in the Netherlands in 1918 at the order of the Rotterdam shipping company HAAS and is the last remaining representative of the large fleet of schooners that sailed under the Dutch flag at the beginning of the 20th century. Her name is derived from the eastern part of the Schelde river that flows from France through Belgium and the Netherlands to the sea and Oosterschelde is the largest restored Dutch sailing ship, which is a monument for Dutch shipbuilding and maritime navigation under sail.
As a freighter Oosterschelde carried some hundred tons of cargo including bricks, herring and bananas. In 1921, the ship was sold, changing hands three times and converted to a motor-sailer before being bought in 1988 and restored to her former glory.
The Rotterdam Sailing Ship Foundation was instituted to support restoration through fund raising and began work in 1990. The ship was officially launched in 1992 by Her Royal Highness Princess Margriet.
In 2000, Oosterschelde raced from Boston to Amsterdam in the Tall Ships 2000 race.
website by artissoft